Thursday, February 21, 2008

Backing up your stuff! It's easy!

So many of you out there have told me shyly..."nope, I never back up my data"

Well, it's pretty easy these days, not that it was ever that hard, but it can be confusing. What do you back up? What is that important that if your computer crashed, you will be crying for days over it being lost?

Pictures? Family, friends, travels??? Yep, those are VERY important! Most people never back up those pictures.

Music? Yeah, all those hours of downloading your cd's to the computer would be gone too.

Word, Excel, Quicken and your email? Your emails may be the most important, but anything you have saved in Word, Excel, would be gone.

How do you back this up easily?

First thing I would do is purchase an external hard drive. I bought a 250 gig hard drive for $85. You probably don't need 250 gig, but you may...it can depend on how many pictures and music you have on your hard drive.

But for safety sake, I can say that 250 gig is all you may need. I can assist you on figuring out if you need more.

Second thing you do, is install the hard drive. It's usually as easy as just plugging in the cord to the computer, but each hard drive has a set of instructions.

Third thing, figure out where all your stuff is on your computer. Many people just keep it all in the "my documents" folder. I tend to be a bit more scattered and have my own way of managing files, but either way...you know where your stuff is right?

Go find that stuff, right click on it and make a copy.
Then go to the new external hard drive in the "my computer" window and right click "paste"

It's really that easy. If you need more assistance, please feel free to call me for a consultation. Backing up your stuff can be easy and you should do it!